There are essential oils for Alzheimer’s Disease, dementia or other brain health that can potentially be helpful, according to research studies. They could well support the real life cases of those who have reported improvements in brain cognitive function, after using aromatherapy. While the studies are currently limited and not suggesting a cure, they make a great start in indicating potential benefits for relieving symptoms.
Well, I thought it would be useful to put the links to the various studies together in a post. This post is not intended to diagnose or prescribe a treatment. It is meant for educational purposes and for anyone wanting to explore the options out there. I believe in being educated in knowing what available choices we have including natural health ones. We can then, undertake conscious choices based on the awareness that we have acquired.
It was a visit to my 85 year-old grandaunt that had prompted me to conduct some research. Despite being surrounded by a party of 30 family members who had gathered to visit her, she barely recognised anyone now. It made me wonder, “what research on essential oils for Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia can I draw on?
Research on Essential Oils for Alzheimer’s Disease, Dementia and Other Brain Conditions
After some digging, some of the research studies that could back up using essential oils to improve brain health are as follows:
1. According to this research study on aromatherapy for Alzheimer’s Disease, it was concluded that aromatherapy has potential for improving cognitive function. For the trials, aromatherapy consisted of the use of rosemary and lemon essential oils in the morning, and lavender and orange in the evening.
2. The therapeutic potential of Rosemary for Alzheimer’s Disease was studied here.
3. According to this research study that was on citric acid effects on brain, it is said that “Given that both increased brain oxidative stress and chronic inflammation have been linked to the development of neurodegenerative diseases, citric acid might thus prove of clinical benefit in such conditions.”
4. Generally, citrus essential oils are great! They are a treasure trove of natural metabolites that support health.
6. In studies performed at Vienna and Berlin Universities, researchers discovered that sesquiterpenes, a natural compound found in essential oils of Vetiver, Patchouli, Cedarwood, Sandalwood and Frankincense, can increase levels of oxygen in the brain by up to 28 percent (Nasel, 1992).
7. Rosemary has traditionally been known as a memory enhancer. Further recent studies by Mark Moss and team at Northumbria University have found memory enhancements of up to an amazing 75% from diffusion of rosemary essential oil.
Studies in Print Publications
The following are studies in print publications:
Mark Moss, Steven Hewitt, Lucy Moss, Keith Wesnes; MODULATION OF COGNITIVE PERFORMANCE AND MOOD BY AROMAS OF PEPPERMINT AND YLANG-YLANG; International Journal of Neuroscience, Vol. 118, Iss. 1, 2008
Ballard CG1, O’Brien JT, Reichelt K, Perry EK.; Aromatherapy as a safe and effective treatment for the management of agitation in severe dementia: the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial with Melissa. J Altern Complement Med. 2004 Jun;10(3):431-7.
Daiki JIMBO,1Yuki Kimura,Miyako Tamiguchi, Masashi Inoue and Katsuya Urakami; Effect of aromatherapy on patients with Alzheimer’s disease. Psychogeriatrics 2009; 9: 173–179.
Mark Moss, Lorraine Oliver; Plasma 1,8-cineole correlates with cognitive performance following exposure to rosemary essential oil aroma.Therapeutic Advances in Psychopharmacology, 2012 Jun; 2(3): 103–113.
Latest Studies on Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer disease, for instance, is a progressive dementia that affects a growing number of the aging population. Studies have established a possible link between inflammation and the disease. Refer to the following articles:
Reported Applications Of Essential Oils for Alzheimer’s Disease
It is heartening to read how one man used the research on essential oils for Alzheimer’s Disease in nursing homes for the aged. Source
Why Essential Oils Help to Improve Cognitive Functions
I have also written an article on how essential oils have the attributes to cross the Blood-Brain Barrier easily, thus improving brain health. Place an Order of Essential Oils Here Now!
Best Essential Oils for Alzheimer’s And Other Brain Functions
If Alzheimer’s Disease is linked to inflammation and the need to address oxidative stress, use essential oils that are known to address these effects.
In summing up, here are some of the essential oils that are mentioned (not in order of priority):
5. Citrus Oils such as Lemon and Orange.
6. BrainPower is a blend that contains Melissa, Blue Cypress, Helichrysum, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Frankincense and Lavender. It is like putting your brain on steroids!
Apparently, lifestyle habits such as exercise, not smoking and weight management can help prevent the onset of Alzheimer’s Disease. Also, it is a myth that the disease only strikes for the elderly. Early-onset Alzheimer’s occurs in five percent of people who have the disease, and it can appear as early as age 30.
This being the case, I would suggest incorporating the above mentioned oils as part of our regular aromatherapy regime. Obviously, use therapeutic-grade essential oils. Your brain deserves the best nourishment! How You Can Buy Therapeutic-Grade Essential Oils at WholeSale Prices >>>
To Your Wellness,
P.S. Brain Health is Wealth! Click Here to Buy Young Living Essential Oils at Wholesale Prices